new obession  

Posted by Drew Versak in , ,

Anyone who knows me, knows that I get into a project and become obsessed with it until I find something bigger and better.. this months obsession? Model ships. My father and I bought a model ship when I was 11 or 12 of a 1/250 scale Blackbeard's Pirate Ship, and it sat in my parents basement for 14 year before being rediscovered by my dad and given to me 2 weekends ago. I thought that it would be a fun little quick project and I would have something cool to display in my already eclectic apartment, but what started as a simple fun thing turned into something entirely complex and tedious. The building part itself isn't a problem, I would have had the ship already done but when it comes down to details and painting, I just can't let things go. So I did a TON of research for painting colors and how the actual ship looked so this model could be as exact as possible and though my research discovered that even though the model was listed as Blackbeard's ship, it's actually a ship called The Sovereign of the Seas. Now armed with this new data I was able to find an online model store that sells already completed model ships (made entirely of wood and AMAZING) and after seeing the quality of work on that model, it was time to step up my game on my ship. So where am I at now? Here's a few pictures of various stages of painting and completion from my iPhone, I have a few more days until the ship is complete, then the fun part of rigging the ship is to follow. I'm already on the hunt for the next ship I want to build and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Greek Triera Warship, but I'm planning on building at least one ship that has the "wow factor" and that’s going to be the USS Constitution, once completed its going to be over 3 feet long, and compared to the 1/250 scale (which is only 13 inches long) it's going to be quite impressive. So for now, here's the ship. Once it's done I'll take some better shots



Set 1:

First shots of the boat, just the hull is painted and red cannon doors.


Set 2:

Decks painted, masts added.


Set 3:
Top half of hull painted blue, added gold gilding, repainted cannons brass instead of yellowish gold.



Set 4:
Painted and installed the lifeboat, deck cannons, 3 of the 5 flags, painted black roping around masts (hard to see in the photos) and painted the lower hull white.



Tonight I'm going to work on the crow's nests (already painted black, ready to glue) and the remaining two flags, hopefully get to the sails as well.

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 at Thursday, February 14, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment