new purchase!  

Posted by Drew Versak in ,


Drew Versak

A nice addition to my 1800's book collection... Over the weekend Adam and I went to the Berlin Farmers Market so I could look around for a short bookcase to put my curiosity cabinet on but realized while checking out this amazing hutch that there's no way I could fit it in my car... so we ended up just walking around and checking things out. We end up at this one booth and I see these two really old looking bound volumes of something, but someone was right in front of them so I couldn't go over to see. After they left I went to go look at them and they turned out to be the entire year of Harper's Young People Weekly Reader from 1884 (think reader's digest but for kids in the late 1800's.) So it's filled with all these great stories from around the world and AMAZING pen & ink engravings. One of the cooler things, I think, is the post office section.. Reading letters written by little kids from 1884 is just so undeniably charming. So i'm going to do a feature and post some of the letters thoughout the year of 1884.. Oh yea, and they have want ads in the back and everyone is trading "natural curiosities", some of the things I already have for my curiosity cabinet.. haha I know... I'm a dork
Anyways.. first letter and its from Philadelphia!

Drew Versak
CLICK FOR LARGER

Ohhh I found this website that has pretty much every year scanned in so you can view it on the web. Go browse though some of the pages.. the scans don't do the engravings any justice.. in person they look so much better.

http://www.archive.org/stream/harpersyoungpeop00newy1883


This entry was posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 at Monday, October 20, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment